BETHLEHEM, Pa. – No. 1 Boston University, No. 2 Holy Cross, No. 3 Lehigh and No. 5 Army West Point recorded victories in the quarterfinal round of the 2023 PenFed Credit Union Patriot League Women’s Basketball Championship.
The Terriers earned a 66-52 win over No. 9 Loyola Maryland, Lehigh defeated No. 6 Bucknell (63-55), the Crusaders earned a 73-44 victory over No. 7 American, and the Black Knights took down fourth-seeded Colgate, 55-50.
No. 5 Army will take on No. 1 Boston University in Boston, Mass at 6 p.m. while No. 2 Holy Cross will host No. 3 Lehigh at 7 p.m. on Thursday, March 9 in the semifinal round. Both games will be streamed on ESPN+.
For more information, visit the 2023 PenFed Credit Union Patriot League Women’s Basketball Championship Page by CLICKING HERE.
First Round – Saturday, March 4
No. 9 Loyola Maryland 61 at No. 8 Lafayette 52
No. 10 Navy 71 at No. 7 American 78
Quarterfinal Round – Monday, March 6
No. 9 Loyola Maryland 52 at No. 1 Boston University 66
No. 7 American 44 at No. 2 Holy Cross 73
No. 6 Bucknell 55 at No. 3 Lehigh 63
No. 5 Army West Point 55 at No. 4 Colgate 50
Semifinal Round – Thursday, March 9 | Hosted by Higher Seed
No. 5 Army West Point at No. 1 Boston University, 6 p.m., ESPN+
No. 3 Lehigh at No. 2 Holy Cross, 7 p.m., ESPN+
2023 PenFed Credit Union Patriot League Championship Game – Sunday, March 12
Lowest remaining seed at Highest remaining seed, Noon | CBS Sports Network
at No. 1 Boston University Terriers (23-7, 17-1 PL) 66, No. 9 Loyola Maryland Greyhounds (10-21, 4-14 PL) 52
BOSTON – Four Boston University student-athletes scored in double figures in the team’s 66-52 win over Loyola Maryland to advance to the semifinal round of the 2023 PenFed Credit Union Patriot League Women’s Basketball Championship.
* Sophomore guard Alex Giannaros (18), sophomore guard Lauren Davenport (14), senior forward Maren Durant (12) and senior guard Sydney Johnson (11) each scored in double figures.
* Durant added 15 boards, a career-high six blocks and a pair of steals, while Johnson dished out a game-high eight assists.
* The Terriers outscored the Greyhounds, 39-26, in the second half to help seal the win.
* Loyola graduate student guards Taleah Dixon and Devyne Newman both scored 11 points, while senior guard Bri Rozzi chipped in with nine points.
* Sophomore forward Lex Therien finished with eight points, 11 rebounds and two steals.
at No. 3 Lehigh Mountain Hawks (17-13, 12-6 PL) 63, No. 6 Bucknell Bison (14-16, 9-9 PL) 55
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Lehigh recorded a 63-55 victory over No. 6 Bucknell to move on to the 2023 PenFed Credit Union Patriot League Women’s Basketball Semifinal Round.
* Lehigh was led by junior guard Mackenzie Kramer, who poured in a game-high 30 points. Kramer pulled down six rebounds and had three assists in the win.
* Teammate senior forward Frannie Hottinger finished with 25 points and 10 rebounds for her 16th double-double of the season.
* Hottinger went 8-for-16 from the field, 2-for-4 from behind the arc and 7-for-8 from the charity stripe.
* Bucknell sophomore guard scored a team-high 21 points to go with six rebounds, two assists and two blocks.
* Senior forward Emma Shaffer netted 11 points and tallied seven boards.
at No. 2 Holy Cross Crusaders (22-8, 13-5 PL) 73, No. 7 American Eagles (9-22, 7-11 PL) 44
WORCESTER, Mass. – Holy Cross outscored American, 42-20, in the second half to earn a 73-44 win over the Eagles on Wednesday night.
* Holy Cross junior forward Janelle Allen was one point shy of a season-high as she led the Crusaders with 19 points. Allen went 6-for-11 from the field and 7-for-10 from the free-throw line.
* Junior guards Bronagh Power-Cassidy and Cara McCormack added 12 points apiece in the victory.
* Holy Cross leads the all-time series against American, 26-22.
* American senior forward Lauren Stack recorded her third double-double of the season with 16 points and 11 rebounds.
No. 5 Army West Point Black Knights (12-17, 10-8 PL) 55 at No. 4 Colgate Raiders (16-14, 10-8 PL) 50
HAMILTON, N.Y. – The No. 5 Army West Point defeated No. 4 Colgate, 55-50, in the 2023 PenFed Credit Union Patriot League Women’s Basketball Quarterfinal game off a 19-point performance from freshman guard Reese Ericson.
* The Patriot League rookie of the year shot 7-for-14 from the field and 4-for-6 from three-point land.
* The Black Knights went 20-for-28 from the charity stripe.
* Army senior forward Sabria Hunter added 16 points and 13 rebounds for her 19th double-double of the season.
* Colgate junior forward Tiasia McMillan finished with 14 points, and sophomore guard Taylor Golembiewski scored 12 points.
Fans can visit the Patriot League’s official website – www.patriotleague.org – for up-to-date scheduling information regarding men’s and women’s basketball in addition to the League’s other 22 sports. Nearly every Patriot League men’s and women’s basketball can be seen on ESPN+ – www.patriotleague.tv. International viewers can visit www.patriotleague.org/watch for League coverage. In addition, select Patriot League basketball games will be televised nationally on CBS Sports Network.
ABOUT THE PATRIOT LEAGUE
The Patriot League is in its fourth decade of academic and athletic achievement, continually demonstrating that student-athletes can excel at both academics and athletics without sacrificing high standards. The Patriot League’s athletic success is achieved while its member institutions remain committed to its founding principle of admitting and graduating student-athletes that are academically representative of their class. Participation in athletics at Patriot League institutions is viewed as an important component of a well-rounded education.