American wildcard Peyton Stearns advanced to the quarter-finals of the WTA Austin Open by defeating Swedish wildcard Mirjam Bjorklund 6-3, 7-5 at the Westwood Country Club on Wednesday.
The 21-year-old American edged out qualifier Katie Boulter (7-6 (5), 6-7 (2), 7-6 (5)) in the previous round of the Austin tournament for her first ever WTA Tour level victory.
In the previous round of the Austin tournament, Bjorklund, ranked No 151, edged out American Alycia Parks, the No 7 seed (6-4, 4-6, 6-4).
Stearns, ranked No 137 in the world, will play American Katie Volynets next.
Austin WTA 250, other second-round results (Westwood Country Club, hard, USD 259,303)
- Sloane Stephens (5) beat Heather Watson (Q): 6-4, 6-4
- Varvara Gracheva beat Anna Blinkova: 6-3, 6-7 (5), 6-1
- Katie Volynets beat Anastasia Potapova (3): 5-7, 6-2, 7-5
- Anna Kalinskaya vs. Coco Vandeweghe
- Catherine McNally vs. Danielle Collins
- Marta Kostyuk vs. Madison Brengle
- Anna-Lena Friedsam vs. Erika Andreeva